Thursday, December 17, 2009

Twirly-Curls Barbie





The other night, on the balcony, after Santa got the fire restarted, I was about to head back inside but he stopped me and said, "Please don't go back in yet. I came out to talk to you."
"Umm...and restart the fire!", I added.
(He laughed) "Well you know it only takes one trip back out here in the dark to know that you can and probably should restart the fire whenever it goes out. And the longer you stay up here, the clearer those instincts become."
Huh. My mind started to wander, and I thought about adding that one to the list of "Secrets of Polar Living", but Santa got my attention and said,
"I have a question for you. Are there any long-ago letters to Santa FROM YOU that you can remember?"
I had to think about that for a minute.
Finally I said, "Well, yes. There is one. I can only remember one. It was from like '82 or '83...I remember it was in a big construction paper card, and I asked for Twirly-Curls Barbie. I actually got the Barbie, too!"
"Did you play with it much?"
"Yeah, well the doll yes. The hair-twirling tool I stopped using because it didn't twirl tightly enough. I figured out how it was twirling the hair, though, and just did it myself. With great results. It was fun. To be honest with you, though, I was really surprised to receive that gift."
Santa said, "Well that one was unique for you. I think that's why this is the only letter you can remember writing. You were asking for something you could use."

No comments:

Post a Comment